My British Literature Class

Whoever acknowledges me before men, I will also acknowledge him before my Father in Heaven. Matthew 10:32
This is the crew I teach on Tuesday Mornings. These poor guys have endured Emma. And they can still smile! It is such a "winsome" (to borrow James' word, meaning attractive in a sweet engaging way; charming) group of Christians. From all types of churches. I ask the Lord each week to help me acknowledge Him in ways that will be meaningful to them. To help them see that there is a connection between our Brit. Lit. Class and Jesus' reason for dying on the cross.
He died so that we could be free from all the sin and deceit portrayed in the literature. We are learning How to Read a Book by covering a book by that name. He died so that we would be able to seek and understand His word and find Truth in Him as we read His Book. And we have done an overview of British Literature History and how amidst the darkness, many like Wycliff and Bunyan and others have carried through God's Word and other writings the message of the Gospel. And He died so that we don't have to live a disgusting life as Madame Defarge in A Tale of Two Cities and be consumed in bitterness without the capacity to forgive.
We are on to The Time Machine and I want to be sure I have thought about all the implications of time travel from God's perspective. I know He is outside of time as we know it, but what does He think of our dabbling in attempting to be outside of time? I am always open to input, this group is so diverse in their beliefs I wonder what kind of discussions we will have! What do you think?
He died so that we could be free from all the sin and deceit portrayed in the literature. We are learning How to Read a Book by covering a book by that name. He died so that we would be able to seek and understand His word and find Truth in Him as we read His Book. And we have done an overview of British Literature History and how amidst the darkness, many like Wycliff and Bunyan and others have carried through God's Word and other writings the message of the Gospel. And He died so that we don't have to live a disgusting life as Madame Defarge in A Tale of Two Cities and be consumed in bitterness without the capacity to forgive.
We are on to The Time Machine and I want to be sure I have thought about all the implications of time travel from God's perspective. I know He is outside of time as we know it, but what does He think of our dabbling in attempting to be outside of time? I am always open to input, this group is so diverse in their beliefs I wonder what kind of discussions we will have! What do you think?

2 Comments:
Yes, "winsome" is my word - you will note that I've been using it for quite a while, having developed that word sometime back before the 12th century ;-).
"How to Read a Book" is indeed a great book, but do not forget to read Adler's other work, "How to Speak, How to Listen".
Thanks James! I may look into that book. Might work well with the poetry section I teach next semester!
Funny when I looked winsome up in the 1828 Dictionary, it was missing. We go from winnowing to winter with no winsome. Must not have been anything winsome about the 1800's?? lol
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home