Live a Life Worthy

I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Eph. 4:1-2

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

I remember our favorite time

During the homeschool years as being what we called "afternoon school." This was when we would all gather together in the front room for our unit studies. The particular favorite part was when I would read aloud the literature book that went with the unit study. Everyone says it was such fun to hear the stories dramatized as I read them aloud. (I think it even ranked above all the gluey crafts, crusty maps, created games and field trips!) ~sigh~ I kinda miss those days. Kinda. They took a lot of effort and planning! I look back now and wonder how it all got done with time to sleep! God certainly gives grace!

Last night felt a little like afternoon school to me because I got to read the entire chapter from Matthew that was up for devotions. (Usually we read around with everyone reading a few verses.) Matthew 23 is one of my favorite chapters. I love to think of Jesus in His calmness with this intense passion, some might call it anger, facing the teachers of the law and the Pharisees. They just don't get it. Have you ever tried to talk to some one about their walk, and they don't get it? You care so deeply, you want them to experience a deeper, living walk with our Lord, and they just don't understand? They think they are just fine and dandy where they are? And you can see there is no fruit in their lives? You know how your heart begins to pound as your urgency increases? You so so desire for them to truely know Jesus. I think of Jesus feeling something like this.

"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisess, you hypocrites!" I think each time He said this, it was with increasing passion and urgency. Don't you guys get it yet? It's not in all your little laws, in the size of your phylacteries (little leather boxes that contained Scripture verses which they wore on their foreheads and arms), or the kind of clothes you wear or in the showy way you do things. It's not about making converts to your Pharisaism, but introducing people to Jesus. It's a heart issue.

I know I would never want to have Christ stand before me and saying "Woe to you!" I would not want to hear the anguish and sadness in His voice. Not to mention that righteous anger. It makes me want to search my heart and my everyday activities and thoughts and be sure I am not letting Pharisaism move in and move out my desire to love and serve Christ.

Anyway. It was fun. Missed R being here for it.

Now I need to get back to school as it is today. Planning out next weeks Government and Poetry class. (The Government class has grown, back to 16 students but we lost another one in Poetry. Now we have 5, 4 of whom love poetry and one lone guy who doesn't!) And urging KL on to keep up the prep for the SAT on Saturday!

Cleaning the inside of the cup,
Me

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home