Looking back
(I wrote this last week, but didn't know if I wanted to post it, but after talking with my friend Margaret this morning at Church, decided I would. )
This weekend when we were all together as a family eating around a table, laughing, talking and enjoying fellowship with each other, I was reminded of a time many years ago when the family was very young and we were eating out.
It was a cold, snowy Saturday afternoon and Mr. R had to run a service call. The baby was only a few weeks old, the middle just 2 and the eldest inched in at 4. I had not been out of the house for several weeks and was eager to go with "Daddy" to complete this quick service call on the North side of town. Everyone got cleaned up and dressed up for the big outing. While we waited in the car for Dad to complete the repair, the boys took turns "driving" the car in our parking space. They told me, as best they could, about all the places we were going past and what we were seeing. The baby woke and became part of the pretend. It was fun.
After a while, the repair finished, we headed to a nearby deli for a special "eat out" lunch. Booster seat secured, baby situated, food cut up, we were ready to enjoy our time out. As I ate, I espied a family of two collegiate looking young men, a sweet high-school daughter and a settled set of parents. Their conversation looked satisfying, their interactions fluid. Our table chattered away, requiring additional parental involvement in minor spills and food prep. Up-down, up again. The gentle sound of shared laughter waifed over our table from the older family nearby. It was such a peaceful sound. I looked at them and smiled, thinking, SOMEDAY, I hope for such a meal with my family. As the family got up to leave, the Mother, with a knowing demeanor came over to our table and shared "It seems like just yesterday I was where you are now. I know what you think, but it won't be long and you will be where we are. Enjoy today."
I have always remembered that exchange and occasionally when we are out notice younger families with their children. Yesterday, we were eating together, the five of us: two-collegiate looking young men, one sweet high-school daughter and two settled parents. Across the isle from us was a very young family. The Mom and Dad were up and down, helping with food, and trying to eat some of their own. On one occasion during the meal we all shared a laugh and our laughter gently roused the attention of the young mom and her glance caught my eye. We exchanged smiles and went back to our families.
They left before we did, but I wished I had been able to say to her, "It seems like just yesterday I was where you are now. It won't be long and you will be where we are." I would have added, "Enjoy today, love them today, train them up today and you will also enjoy tomorrow."
There was another table, crowded with multi-generations eating in the restaurant with us. At one point their laughter broke though our conversation and I glanced over in their direction. The smiling Grandma caught my eye. We just exchanged knowing smiles. She seemed to remember it was not that long ago she was with her grown single children enjoying satisfying fellowship together. I am sure to her, it seemed like yesterday. Life is such a wonderful cycle. And God is so good to always give me something to which I can look forward.

1 Comments:
aww that's pretty sweet. *Sigh*
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home