Live a Life Worthy

I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Eph. 4:1-2

Sunday, November 05, 2006

100 Best

Now that I am not reading all the text books like a crazy person to keep up and ahead of my kids for school. . . I have the opportunity to read some other things. I was a bit stumped on where to begin and looked through several book lists and decided on the Modern Library's 100 Best Novels of the 20th century.

I thought it would be interesting to see what was influential about these book and look at them through a Christian worldview. So, I am working down the list and finding they may be the best. . . but no one told the library! Thank goodness for Half Price books! So, I am not begining with #1 on the list which is Ulysses by James Joyce because I have not been able to get my hands on it!!

Number two is The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald and since I have read it before, I thought I would move on to new territory. I will most likely come back to it later, however.

Number three is A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man also by James Joyce. I found it at Half Price Books and am in the midst of it. It is wonderful to get back into reading more for pleasure than for keeping up with the curriculum. I have other books I want to pop in to the list as well. I find for being what I thought was fairly well read, I have not read many of these books. There may be some I get into and don't want to read, but that is ok too!

If you are curious about the list, you can click here http://www.randomhouse.com/modernlibrary/100bestnovels.html
and peek at it! There is life after homeschooling for almost 20 years!!!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow to have time to read things other than text books!!!!!!!!I'm looking forward to that in say
16 - 18 years! LOL

11/07/2006 10:46 PM  
Blogger Mrs. R said...

It will come before you know it. And, there are plenty of mixed emotions that come with it!! I still feel like I want to read the book aloud!!! How crazy is that? ha ha!

11/08/2006 11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home